New musical plays for kids and teaching drama resources.

Introducing...The Show Must Go Online! A Virtual Children's Musical

By

Mar 31, 2020 Remote Drama Activities 17 Comments

[Update April 6, 2020: This show is now available! Click here to learn more.]

It breaks our heart to hear that so many theatre performances have been postponed or cancelled. This means there are so many actors out there that won’t have a chance for a final performance.

So we wanted to come up with a way to help, and at Beat by Beat we thought we’d do what we do best…write a musical!

We’re currently working on the world’s first children’s musical specifically written to be rehearsed and performed remotely.
Each actor will receive a 1 minute scene/song to rehearse, video record, and upload. When all the videos are played in order, they tell the hilarious story of a group of passionate students desperate to keep their annual musical alive…online!

Click the video above to get a behind the scenes look into the plans for creating this show. Then reply to this email and let us know if this is something you’d be interested in. We’re all figuring this out as we go along.

Make sure you join our mailing list to get the latest updates about this project.

Comments

• Terra Beth Dowhaluk
    Mar 31, 2020 at 11:11 am Reply

This would be amazing for my students. I currently have cancelled my high school musical class which is made up of 12 seniors where this would have been their last show. They would love something like this to let their dreams stay alive just a little bit. Please please let me have my students be apart of this. So much has been taken from these graduates that I would love to give them something.

• Matthew
    Mar 31, 2020 at 2:17 pm Reply

I cannot wait to hear more. My 50+ students who just heard that our spring musical, “Aladdin” was cancelled, will be THRILLED to hear about this ONLINE musical! I can’t wait to hear more!

• Sarah
    Mar 31, 2020 at 11:33 pm Reply

I LOVE this idea! I’m very intrigued and excited for more updates :D

• Jennifer Vento
    Apr 1, 2020 at 9:50 am Reply

Please send me updates and let me know when it is ready. Do you know roughly how much royalties will be?

• Pamela Blenkin
    Apr 1, 2020 at 11:57 am Reply

I would absolutely love to do this with my kids! We were planning to do Fiddler this year, and my kids are just gutted that we can’t.

• Amy Elnicki
    Apr 1, 2020 at 3:16 pm Reply

I could never come up with the simplified way you have gone about making this possible. I teach K-5 in a public school. Our 5th graders won’t get to have a continuation – so I am looking forward to working out logistics on my end to make it happen. This is exactly what I have been looking for since March 12th. Thank You!!

• Catherine Baker-Davis
    Apr 1, 2020 at 3:46 pm Reply

What a wonderful idea! My students would love this idea!

• Gina S.
    Apr 1, 2020 at 8:19 pm Reply

My summer drama camps are going online, too. I have two groups of elementary and middle schoolers that I’ve never worked with and need to create a virtual environment. Please include me. Thanks!

• Lilli Scheiber
    Apr 2, 2020 at 7:32 am Reply

I am very interested in having my Drama students do this! How do we go about getting the materials?

• Brea Turner
    Apr 2, 2020 at 2:13 pm Reply

With the goal line moving back further and further, so many school and local productions cancelled, I would love to get ahold of this for my students. How do I get more information?

• Ilena
    Apr 4, 2020 at 11:14 am Reply

I AM SO DOWN FOR THIS!!!!
    With such a scary future for all of us performers, thank you for making this transition just a little bit easier :)

• Michelle
    Apr 5, 2020 at 1:20 am Reply

Brilliant well done you guys!

• Cathy
    Apr 6, 2020 at 2:15 pm Reply

I would love to do this for my group of homeschool students. We were so close to performing our show & then everything had to come to a halt all at once. It’s been hard on the kids & this would be so wonderful to do with them as we only have a few more weeks together online. How could I get this? how much is it? we have very little in our account – so just wondering. Thank you so much!

• PJ Kay
    Apr 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm Reply

I am looking to do a musical this summer. It with my current students we could totally jump on this concept. Will the kids write their own songs? Add music? Hmm? Sounds tedious if it’s a new musical, right?

• Lisa Ragsdale
    Apr 22, 2020 at 5:43 pm Reply

Yes! We were rehearsing A Year with Frog and Toad Kids with K-5th graders. We are still rehearsing on Zoom once a week, but the actual performance is looking less and less likely. Please keep us posted!

1. bbbpress
      Apr 22, 2020 at 10:03 pm Reply

Hi Lisa, the show is now available! You can learn more here :)

• Charmette Jones
    May 8, 2020 at 6:16 pm Reply

I think this is great and thank you so much for helping all of us theater teacher with the virtual online theater course. As a writer and drama teacher I wanted to ask your permission to use some of your material for my online drama classes. Please let me know if this is okay and if I need to send you more information to use some of your creative material.