New musical plays for kids and teaching drama resources.

Remote Drama Activity: Digital Talent Show

By

Mar 13, 2020 Remote Drama Activities , 12 Comments

Contributed by Brittany Schmutzler on the Facebook Group Theatre Education Distance Learning (Resource Sharing and Support Network). Edited by Beat by Beat Press.

This activity could provide an amazing opportunity to build relationships, courage & cultivate creativity in the midst of a challenging situation.

Send an email similar to the one below about creating a Digital Talent Show:

Bored at home? Need to move your body? Need to practice but don’t have an audience? Need to express yourself?

Let’s make the most out of our time at home and make it fun & creative! Artists NEVER stop creating, and now is the time to show up, share your talents, & spread some joy!

Introducing…the [School or Drama Club] Digital Talent Show!

This competition is open to any student or faculty member at [School].

Challenge: film yourself doing one of your special talents (singing, acting/storytelling, dancing, gymnastics, magic, slam poetry, stand up comedy, visual art, spoken word, making/creating something, yoga poses, tiktok dances, tricks, etc). The sky is the limit-nothing (school appropriate) is off limits! Acts can be 1-3 minutes long & students can submit 1 video daily. Bonus points when you involve a family member or friend, include costumes/props or cool venues! Video submissions will be posted on [Teacher’s] YouTube channel when they are received & approved (link below). [School] community will vote on the top videos at the end of our home learning experience (stay tuned for voting link). Winner will receive a [Gift Card Prize]. So tag your friends, submit your videos to [Teacher’s Email Address] & let’s be creative! The more the merrier! May the odds be ever in your favor!

(Encourage YouTube videos to be uploaded as “unlisted” so they cannot be found by anyone who does not have the link and won’t appear in search results.)

Comments

• Rach
    Mar 23, 2020 at 4:03 pm Reply

Love the sound of this for my area in Australia but I have great difficulty getting even my own music videos to go on youtube. Would need a step by step instructions for that process.

1. Mariel
      Jun 2, 2020 at 6:32 pm Reply

It´s really easy! I´ve just learnt how to do it. You just choose the option ´CREATE or UPLOAD video´on the top right (once you are on YouTube). If you follow instructions there, you should be able to do it in 5 minutes. You just drag and drop the video if you have it on your desktop. It takes a couple of minutes to upload, but it´s quite simple

• Patricia Curry
    Mar 23, 2020 at 7:44 pm Reply

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Kerry
    Mar 23, 2020 at 9:49 pm Reply

Ha! My husband and I were just talking about how we can put this together for my school to give them a “shot” of happy during this surreal Covid19 virus. I’m with Australia on help with a little step by step

Would the videos be viewed from one spot? How would the voting be done?

Excited for feedback

• Tracy LAHR
    Mar 24, 2020 at 5:41 pm Reply

I absolutely love this idea. My ASB class was going to host a talent show before all of this craziness occurred. Is it possible for you to give me more details regarding how to post acts on YouTube and how to set up a voting place (link) I’m kind of not a technical genius, Thanks

• Patricia Descalzo
    Mar 26, 2020 at 1:02 pm Reply

Awesome idea! I’ve been looking for ideas since this Covid19 nightmare started. Classes online are sometimes hard and my kids love drama. Thank you so much for this blog. Lots of love from Spain.

• Joey Richards
    Mar 27, 2020 at 9:59 am Reply

I’m a principal at a small private school that is closed for Covid and thought that I would launch a digital talent show – typed those three words into Google, and BAM! Your post came up! Thank you for the thoughts, it helped me with my communication to the kids and families.

• Stephanie Shannon
    Mar 31, 2020 at 3:04 pm Reply

How are you collecting these videos from students? I am looking to do this at our school and have almost 800 students. Any help would be great. Thank you!

• Sharon De Leon
    Apr 1, 2020 at 3:40 pm Reply

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I’m going to have my senior drama class do this and post every Friday to our class online wall as well as email me privately.
    I love the idea to get family members involved!

• Deborah Ungar
    Apr 5, 2020 at 4:18 pm Reply

Love this idea, thank you! I’m thinking of hosting a virtual talent show on Fridays, which would remove the need to upload videos, but hopefully I figure out a way where that option is still available.

• michelle tremblay
    Apr 17, 2020 at 4:24 pm Reply

Hello
    Would it be possible to get the details on how to set it up on Y.tube with my school community?I would have a group of 15 from a drama class that may participate ?
    I don’t really have a lots of expertise with this on a public channel thanks so much
    just saw this post?
    BC , Canada

• Kyra Chetcuti
    Jun 1, 2020 at 8:00 am Reply

Love this idea! How are you collecting these videos from students? I am looking to do this at our school and have almost 300 students. Any help would be great. Thank you!