New musical plays for kids and teaching drama resources.

Drama Game: Introductions and Applause

By

Feb 17, 2013 Drama Games, Warm-Up , , 7 Comments

Kid ApplauseType:  Warm-up.

Purpose:

• A great way for students to introduce themselves, get a non-frightening taste of being on stage
  • Establish a supportive environment

Procedure:

• Either using a real door or an imaginary door (which you create for the students), tell the group each student will come up one by one, walk through the door to “enter” the stage, introduce themselves saying “Hi, my name is _____” and say one interesting thing about themselves (you can add on more to the speech but don’t make it too long or complicated – the point is to give an incredibly easy task).
  • After each introduction, the audience will enthusiastically applaud as the student stays up on stage and takes in the applause.

Note:

• Do NO coaching here – the point again is to let each student perform their introduction, with no criticism whatsoever. The only thing you CAN coach them on is waiting for the applause – don’t let them run off the stage before they take it in.

Opt In Image

“Because of your 16 ready to go lesson plans…I have been asked back for a second year after successfully winning over staff and students at a prestigious Montessori School on their 20th year anniversary!! THANK YOU.”

Kathryn
June 9, 2015

Comments

• Nomphelo
    Aug 8, 2014 at 8:45 pm Reply

This really helped me in my class. I’ve been a Maths and Science teacher for a long time but now I’ve been given this English class to teach and I didn’t know how to start this drama lesson .

• Maria byrne
    Aug 10, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reply

Thank you for your great lesson activities I found them easy to follow, fun and interesting for both myself and the kids.

• Pinkie Sachdeva
    May 14, 2016 at 7:42 pm Reply

I use it for my English class.

• Omar shariff Captan
    Jun 30, 2016 at 6:27 am Reply

Please would like to buy these lesson books for ages 1 year to 16 year. How do u order?.

1. bbbpress
      Jul 5, 2016 at 3:51 pm Reply

Hi Omar! You can purchase “Teaching Drama: The Essential Handbook” with 16 lesson plans at the link below. It’s geared toward kids age 7-14.

We also have “Teaching Drama to Little Ones” with 12 lesson plans for kids age 3-7. You can find that book here: http://www.bbbpress.com/teaching-drama-to-little-ones/

• Nora T.
    Jul 10, 2016 at 1:18 pm Reply

I’m a camp counselor who doesn’t have an extensive background in musical theatre and I’ve been trying to think of games to play with my campers and I’m so glad I stumbled upon this site!

• Karen
    Jan 26, 2017 at 9:26 pm Reply

I played this game with 5th graders but called it Liar’s door. They had to pantomime opening the door, coming through and closing it (any way they wanted) and then introduce themself but tell something about themself that was a complete and utter epic lie. (I’m Susan and I’m the school principal. I’m Bill and I have purple hamsters in my shoes.) It was hysterical and the kids were super creative.